A Day At Fuente De

After yesterday’s excellent hike I thought it would be nice to take another hike today since this is my last day in Mieses and the Picos de Europa.  It was suggested that I go to Fuente De which is about 15 miles from here.  My host suggested taking the cable car up to Fuente De which is 6,070 feet high.  The cable car goes from 3,576 feet to the summit and then hike back down.  I was told the hike down was difficult but no worse than the hike I took yesterday.  I was told it would take about 4.5 hours to hike down.  My upper legs were a little sore but not nearly as sore as I thought they would be so that was my plan.  Go to Fuente De, go up to the summit by cable car and walk down.

I arrived at Fuente De at about 10:30 AM.  As soon as arrived it knew this hike was not going to happen.  It was mobbed.  There was virtually no place to park.  As a matter of fact I was flagged and told I had to go further up the road, turn around and maybe there would be a place to park when I returned.  So that’s what I did and when I returned they showed me where to park.  After that I went to purchase a ticket up to the summit.  Well this must be an “E” ticket ride because I had to wait in line for just about one hour before it was my turn to purchase a one way ticket.  Once I got to the ticket counter, my first question was how long I would have to wait before I could get on the cable car.  Two hours I was told.  It was already past 12:00 PM which meant I would probably not get to take this hike.  Should I get a round trip ticket or just bag the whole thing and go back to my guest house and lay by the pool.  I decided to go for the round trip ticket and take in the view.

I really don’t know what I was thinking.  Two hours turned into three hours.  By the time the cable car reached the summit it was already 3:15 PM.  It was a mob scene on the summit as well and although there are spectacular views, which you will see when you look at the photos I was not able to get into the moment.  I think that’s because I wasn’t able to take the hike down and the hordes of people.  Also as I thought about the hike and when I looked around I wasn’t sure I was equipped to take on this hike since I was unable to find a trail guide book in English so I really had no idea what I would be getting myself into so I came to the conclusion that it would not be a good hike alone.

I stayed up on the mountain for about an hour feeling fidgety  so at about 4:15 PM I got in line, took the cable car back down and drove back to my guest house where I now sit writing this entry.

Tomorrow begins four days of travel toward Ireland.  My first stop is to take the car back to Bilbao, then catch a bus for a two hour ride to Hendaya, France.  On Friday morning, I’ll catch a 9:45 AM TGV to Paris  where I’ll do laundry ( because there is a self service Laundromat a block away from my hotel).  On Saturday, I catch my Eurostar train which will whisk me under the English Channel to London.  I’ll spend one night in London and then on Sunday, I start my journey westward toward Ireland with a couple of stops along the way.

1.Louis.skypala@verizon.net © Louis M. Skypala 2014